If you’re looking to develop a complete skincare routine for yourself, then you should absolutely include a nighttime moisturizer into your routine. Keeping your skin moisturized during the night is actually one of the best things you can do to ensure that your skin stays healthy and attractive.
Today, we’ll be checking out several of the best nighttime moisturizers to use if you’re looking to take your skincare game to the next level.
Why Should You Use a Nighttime Moisturizer?
You may be wondering why a nighttime moisturizer is so essential to have, especially if you already use a moisturizer during the day. However, there are a couple of main reasons as to why it’s a great idea to include a nighttime moisturizer if you’re serious about your skincare.
For one, your skin warms up during the night time and also becomes more permeable. It means that during the night, your skin is able to absorb more of whatever you apply to it.
The downside of this is that when your skin becomes warmer and more permeable, it becomes less effective at maintaining its moisture levels. It means that if you don’t apply a nighttime moisturizer, your skin actually becomes significantly drier during the night.
So not only is your skin more receptive to moisturizers during the night, but it actually needs some kind of moisturization in order to stay healthy.
Your skin cells also become more active at night. When you’re asleep, your body ramps up its production of human growth hormone (HGH), which helps your skin repair itself and regenerate damaged cells. During the night, your cells regenerate up to three times faster than they do during the day.
Therefore, picking the right moisturizer to use at night can help keep your skin’s moisture levels at healthy levels and can also support your skin’s natural healing processes.
Now that you’re fully aware of all the benefits you can get from using a nighttime moisturizer, let’s get right into our product reviews. We’ll be taking a look at several of the best nighttime moisturizers available on Amazon and going over their benefits and key ingredients, as well as how to apply each of them correctly.
Kollagen Intensiv Anti-Aging Wrinkle Cream
First up, let’s check out Kollagen Intensiv. It is an all-purpose type of moisturizer that can be used as a night time or a daytime moisturizer, and it is also an anti-wrinkle cream.
The manufacturer claims that Kollagen Intensiv can increase the amount of collagen your body produces. Collagen is an essential substance that your skin needs to maintain its structure and elasticity. You’ll be able to see noticeable improvements to your skin condition after 12 weeks of using this cream.
Perhaps the main downside of Kollagen Intensiv is that it’s a lot more expensive than any of the other moisturizers on this list.
Here are all the benefits that Kollagen Intensiv can offer you:
- It increases your body’s own production of collagen.
- Helps your skin appear thicker, firmer, and more toned
- Helps eliminate wrinkles and lines caused by age
- Thoroughly moisturizes your skin.
- Helps diminish the appearance of sun damage and age spots
Kollagen Intensiv is made from a wide variety of different ingredients, which include peptides, vitamins, antioxidants, trace minerals, and more. The ingredients are intended to help your body produce more collagen, prevent oxidative damage to your skin cells, moisturize your skin, and combat some of the effects of aging that affect your skin condition.
Here’s a list of some of the most important ingredients in Kollagen Intensiv:
- Peptides (amino acids that your skin needs in order to make collagen)
- Shea butter
- Soybean oil (a good source of vitamin E, which your skin needs)
- Cyclopentasiloxane (an emollient, meaning it makes your skin softer)
- Glycerol (a common ingredient in many skincare products that acts as a moisturizer and an antimicrobial agent)
- Dipalmitoyl hydroxyproline (another component of collagen)
- Tocopherol (a topical antioxidant commonly used in skincare products)
- Green tea leaf extract (this helps reduce the amount of oil your skin produces)
- Vitamin C (yet another ingredient that helps you produce more collagen)
How to Use
Kollagen Intensiv is a day/night moisturizer, so you can use it whenever you want. If you’re looking to use Kollagen Intensiv as part of a skincare routine, the manufacturer suggests applying this moisturizer twice daily, once in the morning and once in the evening.
As always, do your best to avoid getting this moisturizer in your eyes when applying it, and if you do use it during the day, think about applying some sunscreen first before going outside.
L’Oréal Paris Collagen Moisture Filler
Our next moisturizer comes to us from L’Oréal Paris. Like the Kollagen Intensiv moisturizer we talked about earlier, L’Oréal’s moisturizer is a day/night moisturizer that also promises to help your body increase its production of collagen.
L’Oréal claims that within four weeks of using their moisturizer daily, your skin will be smoother, and your wrinkles will appear noticeably more filled-in. L’Oréal’s moisturizer is priced pretty averagely, at least compared to many of its competitors.
Here what you can get from using L’Oréal Paris Collagen Moisture Filler:
- Smoother skin and less prominent lines and wrinkles
- A non-greasy formula that is absorbed quickly into your skin
- A flexible moisturizer that can be used in the morning or at night
- A more budget-friendly option compared to other moisturizers.
L’Oréal’s moisturizer contains a couple of different types of collagen, in addition to a fairly large number of other ingredients. The ingredients in L’Oréal’s moisturizer are intended to soften lines and wrinkles, boost your body’s production of collagen, and keep your skin healthy and moisturized.
Here’s a selection of some of the key ingredients that can be found in this moisturizer:
- Glycerin (a moisturizing agent)
- Soybean oil
- Soluble collagen
- Boswellia serrata extract (also known as Indian frankincense, this is a plant extract known for its anti-inflammatory effects)
- Shea butter (this ingredient is filled with fatty acids, which makes it an excellent emollient)
How to Use
After making sure your skin is clean and dry, simply apply this moisturizer to your face and neck. If you’re using this moisturizer as part of a daily routine, then apply it two times a day, in the morning and the evening.
Neutrogena Hydro Boost
Neutrogena is a ubiquitous brand that you can find in drugstores and other physical locations, as well as on Amazon.
While not specifically advertised as a nighttime moisturizer, you can absolutely still use this moisturizer as such. Price-wise, this is another moisturizer that’s about average compared to other brands.
Neutrogena Hydro Boost is a solid moisturizer that can do pretty much everything you’d expect. Here’s what this moisturizer has to offer:
- An oil-free, non-comedogenic formula (it won’t make your skin break out)
- It absorbs into the skin quickly, so you can wear it under makeup.
- It contains hyaluronic acid, a natural hydrator
- It contains no fragrances, making it suitable for people with allergies.
Neutrogena Hydro Boost contains various moisturizing agents intended to lock in your skin’s moisture during the night and help keep it feeling smooth and supple.
Here are a few of the most important ingredients used in this moisturizer:
- Dimethicone (a substance that helps your skin seal in moisture and keeps it feeling silky)
- Phenoxyethanol (a preservative used in many skin care products)
- Hyaluronic acid (a substance naturally produced within your own body that your skin uses to keep your tissues lubricated)
How to Use
To use Neutrogena Hydro Boost, first make sure your skin is as clean as possible of dirt, oil, and makeup. Then, apply this moisturizer to your face and neck, massaging it into your skin.
If you plan to use this moisturizer during the daytime, consider applying sunscreen if you’re going to be out and about under the sun—sunscreen stacks with moisturizers to protect your skin from the harmful effects of sunlight.
DERMA E Vitamin C Intense Night Cream
This cream from DERMA E is advertised as being specifically intended for nighttime use. It contains high amounts of vitamin C, which, as we’ve already mentioned, is an essential vitamin that your body uses in part to produce more collagen.
DERMA E moisturizer also has the benefit of being slightly less expensive per ounce than the other moisturizers on this list.
Using DERMA E regularly can give you numerous benefits. Here’s what you can expect to gain:
- It boosts the sun protection factor (SPF) of products containing sunscreen, giving you increased protection from UV light.
- It includes antioxidants to prevent cell damage caused by free radicals.
- It helps break up melanin deposits to eliminate dark skin spots.
- Its formula contains no harmful preservatives.
DERMA E contains a pretty hefty list of ingredients, a list that’s far too big to include here in its entirety. Instead, we’ll highlight some of the key ingredients here.
- Vitamin C
- Vitamin E
- Green tea leaf extract
- Olive and rosehip fruit oil
- Hyaluronic acid
- Vitamin A
How to Use
After making sure your face and neck are clean, apply a generous layer of cream to those areas, making sure to massage it in until it’s completely absorbed. For the best results, try and do this daily every evening.
CeraVe Skin Renewing Night Cream
CeraVe is one of the most popular moisturizer brands available on Amazon. This moisturizing night cream is developed with input from dermatologists and is suitable for dry, sensitive, and acne-prone skin.
CeraVe offers pretty much everything you would want in a nighttime moisturizer:
- The formula is non-comedogenic and contains no oils or fragrances.
- It provides 30 SPF protection from UV light.
- It can hydrate your skin throughout the day.
- It’s suitable for a variety of skin types.
CeraVe contains ingredients that you often find in moisturizers, as well as some less common ones. Some of these ingredients include:
- Ceramides (lipids that help your skin form a moisture barrier)
- Hyaluronic acid
- Cetearyl alcohol (an emollient and thickening agent)
How to Use
To use CeraVe Renewing Night Cream, apply it to your face in a series of small dots and then massage it in until it’s been absorbed. Use this cream every day before you go to bed for the best results.
CETAPHIL Moisturizing Cream
Cetaphil is a dermatologist-recommended brand, and this moisturizer is intended to be suitable for use on even the most sensitive skin. While not strictly a nighttime lotion, you can use CETAPHIL at any point you want during the day, including during the night.
Here are the benefits offered by CETAPHIL moisturizing cream:
- The non-greasy formula is free from parabens and fragrances, making it suitable for sensitive skin.
- It can completely restore your skin’s moisture barrier within one week of daily use.
- It provides 24-hour relief for dry skin.
- Safe to use on any part of your body
CETAPHIL contains a combination of vitamins, moisturizers, and emollients to keep your skin looking and feeling smooth.
Some of the key ingredients in CETAPHIL moisturizing cream include:
- Vitamin E
- Vitamin B5
- Macadamia nut oil
How to Use
The best time to apply CETAPHIL is any time after getting your skin wet. Obviously, this includes showering and washing your hands. Before applying CETAPHIL, make sure you dry your skin off thoroughly.
CETAPHIL can sometimes be used to treat various skin conditions. If you’re using it for such a purpose, check in with your doctor to make sure you know how to apply it correctly.
Finally, we have Olay Regenerist. This nighttime moisturizer is one of the more expensive ones and is more comparable to Kollagen Intensiv in terms of pricing. Nonetheless, it still offers a lot for its money.
Using Olay Regenerist can provide you with a number of benefits, which include:
- 24-hour skin hydration
- Visible skin benefits which can appear overnight
- Improves the appearance of lines, wrinkles, and dark spots
Olay Regenerist is made with a fairly standard set of skincare ingredients, which includes:
- Vitamin A
- Vitamin B3
How to Use
Using this moisturizer is about as simple as using any other moisturizer. Simply make sure your face is clean and dry, then massage the cream evenly over your face, making sure not to get any in your eyes. Ideally, you should try and do this every day before you go to bed.
If you need a good nighttime moisturizer, you may find it hard when it comes to choosing which one to use. There are a ton of different moisturizers that are all more or less equally effective when it comes to skincare.
However, all of these nighttime moisturizers are priced slightly differently, and all of them have variations in their formulas. Ultimately, the best nighttime moisturizer for you will depend on your budgetary preferences and what you personally like to have in your moisturizers.