Collagen supplements are all the rage nowadays. As more people realize the importance of collagen supplementation, the products to choose from have increased.
From pills to powders to bone broths, the choice is yours. Among all the types of collagen products in the market, pills and powders are the most popular.
Many people wonder what the difference between these two is, and if you’re conflicted too, you’ve come to the right article. Here, you’ll get to know everything about both forms of collagen, and which one is the best for you.
Collagen is derived from the connective tissues, bones, hides, and skins of animals. Supplements contain collagen from cows, fish, or chicken.
To make this protein edible and easily digestible, it’s broken down into smaller peptides. Collagen that has been broken down for easier consumption is known as hydrolyzed protein. This is what is used to make supplements, and it’s also what’s known as collagen powder.
It’s white in color and flavorless. Some brands, however, offer flavored options. You can add collagen powder to your morning coffee, smoothie, water, or meal.
The daily recommended dosage for collagen powder is normally 2 scoops, but it depends on the product.
- It’s versatile and can be added to hot and cold beverages, baked snacks, smoothies, soups, and other foods.
- Provides all the benefits of collagen, including skin improvement, joint restoration and renewed nail and hair growth.
- Available in flavorless and flavored options to fit your personal tastes.
- Might not be convenient for traveling, unlike collagen pills that you can carry anywhere and use at any time.
- Flavored collagen powders may contain too much sugar, which may not be good for your health.
Here are two of the best performing collagen powders on Amazon that you can try today:
Vital Proteins Collagen Peptides
This is a flavorless, odorless grass-fed and pasture-raised collagen powder from Vital Proteins. It contains collagen, hyaluronic acid, and vitamin C.
A single serving of this powder is 2 scoops, which contains 20g of collagen. The vitamin C content in each serving provides the recommended daily value for the nutrient.
- It’s flavorless and odorless, which makes it easy to add to recipes if you don’t want to affect their taste and aroma.
- Contains hyaluronic acid and vitamin C, which boosts skin hydration and natural collagen production, respectively.
- Some people might not like the lack of flavor. However, there are several flavored options of the same powder to choose from.
NeoCell Super Collagen Powder
A bottle of this powder provides 30 servings of grass-fed collagen peptides. It contains types I and III collagen, which are essential for skin, hair, nail, joints, and gut health.
1 scoop of this powder is equal to a single serving and contains 6600mg of collagen. It’s available in unflavored, berry, lemon, and French vanilla flavors.
- Utilizes grass-fed bovine collagen.
- Contains both type I and III collagen, which is crucial for healthy bones, skin, and joints.
- The amount of collagen in a single serving is less than most collagen powders in the market.
There’s little difference between collagen pills and powder, but other than that, they’re the same thing. Collagen pills are hydrolyzed powder that has been encapsulated.
Therefore, the main difference between these two is their delivery methods. While the powder is mixed with drinks or food, the pills are swallowed with water or other beverage.
Once in the body, the capsule dissolves, and the powder is released. The powder is then broken down in the gastrointestinal tract and absorbed into the bloodstream.
This powder then proceeds to boost your body’s collagen reserves and boost the production of the protein in the body.
Collagen pills are a great alternative if you don’t want to add anything to your beverages or food.
- Collagen pills are easy to use and convenient compared to collagen powder. Since all you need to do is swallow them with a glass of water or beverage, you can easily take them on the go.
- They boost skin health, rejuvenate bones, and revitalize hair and nails. These pills also deliver the benefits of collagen to your gut.
- While you might need just a scoop or two of collagen powder to get an adequate daily dosage, you’ll need several collagen pills for the same. With most brands, you’ll be required to take around 6 pills for a single serving.
The following collagen pills have been rated highly on Amazon, and could be great for you:
Collagen Wrinkle Formula
These pills contain hydrolyzed collagen powder, vitamin E, vitamin C, and rosehip. Each pill contains 750mg of collagen, 90mg of vitamin C, 50IU vitamin E, and 10gm rosehip.
The collagen preserves bones and joints while boosting skin elasticity. It also renews hair and nails. Rosehip and vitamin E nourishes the skin while vitamin C supports collagen restoration in the body.
The recommended dosage is a single pill before bedtime.
- Contains vitamin C, vitamin E, and rosehip that amplify the benefits of hydrolyzed collagen.
- Dosage is a single pill per day, which is more convenient than other collagen pills.
- Collagen provided in a single serving is much less in comparison with other pills, and cannot compare to collagen powders.
Youtheory Collagen Advanced
Each tablet of this formula contains 1000mg of collagen powder. 6 tablets make up a single serving, providing 6000mg of hydrolyzed collagen and 90mg of vitamin C.
The collagen used is sourced from farms in Brazil, France, and the USA. Vitamin C is used to aid the absorption of the collagen powder.
- Boosts collagen reserves in the body while supporting skin, tendons, and hair health.
- Sourced from grass-fed cows.
- Requires you to take 6 capsules daily to get a single serving, which can be a bit of a hassle.
When and Why Should You Use Collagen Supplements?
In your twenties, your collagen levels are optimal, maintaining your skin, hair, bone, muscle, and gut health. When you reach your thirties, that natural production of collagen in your body decreases.
This decline worsens as the years advance. You’ll begin observing aging signs such as wrinkled skin, brittle hair, poor digestive health, and pain in the joints.
This is because there’s inadequate collagen to support the structure of these body organs. They lose elasticity and flexibility, gradually becoming stiff.
You should start using collagen supplements when your body’s natural collagen production drops. It’s also advisable to start using them in your 20s when your collagen levels are still good.
This’ll delay the decline in collagen synthesis in your body and keep your bones, joints, and skin in their best condition. By supplementing with collagen early, you’ll avoid most signs of aging for longer.
How to Choose Your Collagen Supplement
It’s not every collagen supplement that’s of good quality. Here are a few tips to help you buy the best supplement for you that’ll deliver health benefits:
Consider Your Routine and Personal Preferences
Do you like preparing smoothies and beverages during the day? Do you cook at home, or perhaps do some baking regularly?
Or, are you busy and don’t have much time to prepare beverages or meals at home?
Your daily routine can help you make a choice between the collagen pills and powder. If you prepare beverages and food at home and don’t mind adding a few healthy ingredients, then a collagen powder is a great option for you.
All you’ll need to do is add it to your recipe, and you’re good to go. Once in the body, it’ll be broken down to provide the benefits that you’re after.
But, if making beverages or dishes is not part of your routine, pills could be the best for you. This also goes if you’re not interested in adding anything to your usual recipes.
Check the Ingredients
How much collagen is in each serving of your powder or pill? Are there other ingredients used in the formulation?
Checking for both information on a product’s label will help you choose one that provides what you’re looking for. Some of the additional ingredients that you’ll find in collagen powders and pills are vitamins, hyaluronic acid, and minerals.
For a collagen supplement to work, the concentration of the protein should be much higher than that of additional ingredients.
Confirm the Collagen Source
Collagen powder is made using tissues from cows, fish, and chicken. However, these sources are not the same.
It’s advisable to opt for either marine (fish) or bovine (cow) collagen because of the sourcing. Bovine collagen should be grass-fed or pasture-raised, while marine should be wild-caught.
It’s harder to tell whether the chicken from which collagen is derived was allowed to roam freely or were raised in restricted enclosures. Animals that grew under the most natural surroundings with no utilization of chemicals or hormones for growth provide the best quality collagen.
If you would like to try something besides collagen pills and powder, the XYZ Smart Collagen Cream is a great choice. This is a collagen cream that you can use on your skin to get rid of wrinkles, boost elasticity, and restore natural collagen production.
Collagen pills and powder are basically the same things, only with different methods of delivery. Buy the supplement that you can seamlessly fit into your daily life. This way, you’ll always be able to take it, hassle-free.